Congratulations on the first step of buying a home! As an experienced real estate broker and attorney, I can assist you through the entire process, starting with the mortgage and continuing through the closing. I will help you shop for the best interest rate and terms, and if you wish, I can also suggest mortgage lenders.
Valuable Tips to Consider When Purchasing a Home
- Get copies of your credit report. If need be, clean it up. The higher your credit score, the better your loan interest rate. The three major credit reporting companies are Experian, Equifax and TransUnion.
- Determine your price range
- Find a lender or I can recommend trusted lenders.
- Research, figure out where you want to live. Do you have children? Consider what school district your home will fall into. How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you want? Would you prefer a newer home or an older one with established landscaping?
- When you’ve identified the home you want to buy, I’m ready to prepare a written offer. Since I’m familiar with market value, I’ll help you arrive at a price that gives your offer the best chance of being accepted. Also, be prepared to negotiate, your first offer might not get accepted.
- Have backup homes in mind in case your offer isn’t accepted.
Once Your Offer Is Accepted
After your offer is accepted, you’ll have a grace period (varies depending on your state) to get the house professionally inspected. This is the time to request repairs or submit a counteroffer if need be. The next step is to verify that the terms and conditions on your loan are accurate. Also, we’ll go over your signing papers.
Now that you’ve obtained your home, you’ll need to get homeowners insurance. The next step is moving arrangements. If you plan on hiring a professional mover, schedule accordingly. I can also suggest reputable companies. Don’t forget to submit a change of address form and contact the local utility companies.
Evan Himfar is a real estate agent affiliated with Compass. Compass is a licensed real estate broker licensed by the state of California and abides by equal housing opportunity laws. All material presented herein is intended for informational purposes only. Information is compiled from sources deemed reliable but is subject to errors, omissions, changes in price, condition, sale, or withdrawal without notice. No statement is made as to accuracy of any description. All measurements and square footages are approximate. This is not intended to solicit property already listed. Nothing herein shall be construed as legal, accounting or other professional advice outside the realm of real estate brokerage.
Evan Himfar, Broker Associate: CalDRE #01891184